Posts for category: Dental Care
How your dentists in Waunakee, Wisconsin can help you fight gum disease
Did you know that gum disease can increase your risk of serious medical problems? It’s true. In fact, an unhealthy mouth has been linked to an increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, and having a stroke, according to the Mayo Clinic. The good news is, you can do a lot to prevent gum disease and protect the health of your smile and your overall health.
Drs. Matthew and Stanley Karls at Karls Family Dentistry in Waunakee, Wisconsin offer a wide range of preventive dental care services to keep you and your smile healthy.
Gum disease can sneak up on you, with little to no signs or symptoms. All you may see is slight bleeding when you brush. It’s important not to ignore gum disease because if you do, it can become a periodontal disease, which can cause tooth loss.
So, how do you prevent gum disease? You need to practice excellent oral hygiene habits, which should include:
Brushing your teeth after meals and before bed; use a soft-bristled toothbrush and brush gently, in a circular motion. Clean all the surfaces of your teeth and along the gumline. Many people like to use a sonic or electric toothbrush.
Floss your teeth every day; make sure you wrap the floss around the widest part of your tooth as you go down in between your teeth. When you wrap the floss, it helps keep the floss firmly against the tooth surface, so it cleans better.
You also need to visit your dentist at least once each year for a thorough dental examination, including x-rays. Regular visits to your dentist can help keep dental issues small and easily treatable, so they don’t grow into big dental problems.
You should also have a professional dental cleaning every six to twelve months, and more often if you have periodontal disease. Your dental hygienist can remove hard and soft deposits on your teeth, monitor the health of your gum tissue, and share all of the latest tools and tips to take care of your smile at home, between appointments.
Your dentist can help you prevent gum disease, so you can enjoy a healthy smile for life. To find out more about preventing gum and periodontal disease, talk with the experts. Call Drs. Matthew and Stanley Karls of Karls Family Dentistry in Waunakee, Wisconsin at (608) 849-4100. Call now!
A toothache is usually caused by some type of infection that attacks the inside of the tooth, the tooth root, or the gums. The nerves in your mouth are irritated and inflamed, causing the throbbing, aching pain. Learn more about what could be causing your particular case of toothache and the best way to treat the issue when you visit a dentist at Karls Family Dentistry in Waunakee, WI.
Possible Causes of Your Toothache
Persisting pain or intense sensitivity in your teeth or gums is a sign of a dental issue that needs some form of urgent therapy. These are some of the most common causes:
- Tooth decay, which likely started as a cavity.
- Periodontal disease, which is inflammation of the gums caused by the buildup of bacteria-filled tartar and calculus.
- A foreign object lodged in the soft tissues of the mouth and gums.
- An injury to the mouth that caused a tooth to shift out of place (common for sports players).
If you have a toothache, go see your Waunakee, WI, dentist before it worsens. These are the treatments that may be used to help you get relief:
- Root canal therapy (cleans out the infected tissue inside of a tooth).
- Periodontal therapy (deep cleaning, scaling and root planing, medication to get a gum infection under control, and gum surgery in advanced cases).
- Safe removal of an object stuck in the gums or between the teeth that’s causing pain, and wound treatment.
Preventing Dental Issues
Most toothaches can be prevented if you pay more attention to your oral hygiene, check your teeth regularly, and stay in touch with your dentist. Here are some tips to help you prevent dental issues:
- Consider the benefits of investing in a dentist-recommended electric toothbrush that does a more thorough job of cleaning the surfaces of the teeth.
- Use a toothpaste that provides enamel protection and antigingivitic benefits.
- Floss at least once per day, but preferably after each meal.
- Schedule and keep twice-yearly appointments with your dentist.
Call to Schedule a Dentist Appointment Today
If you’re experiencing any degree of tooth pain, consult a dentist at Karls Family Dentistry in Waunakee, WI. Call (608) 849-4100 today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Matthew Karls or Dr. Stanley Karls.