A toothache is usually caused by some type of infection that attacks the inside of the tooth, the tooth root, or the gums. The nerves in your mouth are irritated and inflamed, causing the throbbing, aching pain. Learn more about what could be causing your particular case of toothache and the best way to treat the issue when you visit a dentist at Karls Family Dentistry in Waunakee, WI.
Possible Causes of Your Toothache
Persisting pain or intense sensitivity in your teeth or gums is a sign of a dental issue that needs some form of urgent therapy. These are some of the most common causes:
- Tooth decay, which likely started as a cavity.
- Periodontal disease, which is inflammation of the gums caused by the buildup of bacteria-filled tartar and calculus.
- A foreign object lodged in the soft tissues of the mouth and gums.
- An injury to the mouth that caused a tooth to shift out of place (common for sports players).
If you have a toothache, go see your Waunakee, WI, dentist before it worsens. These are the treatments that may be used to help you get relief:
- Root canal therapy (cleans out the infected tissue inside of a tooth).
- Periodontal therapy (deep cleaning, scaling and root planing, medication to get a gum infection under control, and gum surgery in advanced cases).
- Safe removal of an object stuck in the gums or between the teeth that’s causing pain, and wound treatment.
Preventing Dental Issues
Most toothaches can be prevented if you pay more attention to your oral hygiene, check your teeth regularly, and stay in touch with your dentist. Here are some tips to help you prevent dental issues:
- Consider the benefits of investing in a dentist-recommended electric toothbrush that does a more thorough job of cleaning the surfaces of the teeth.
- Use a toothpaste that provides enamel protection and antigingivitic benefits.
- Floss at least once per day, but preferably after each meal.
- Schedule and keep twice-yearly appointments with your dentist.
Call to Schedule a Dentist Appointment Today
If you’re experiencing any degree of tooth pain, consult a dentist at Karls Family Dentistry in Waunakee, WI. Call (608) 849-4100 today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Matthew Karls or Dr. Stanley Karls.